Back in Delhi

A lot has happened since the last post, and I will update when I have time. A brief idea is that we took a taxi from Dharamsala to Amritsar. This is a major religious city for the Sikh community. We spent 2 nights in Hotel Fairway, even though we had booked Hotel Oyo rooms. It turned out that hotel Oyo rooms does not exist even though I was able to book it on .

We visited the golden temple and it was quite a site. 100,000 people a day visiting it. As white people at the temple we were also a tourist attraction.

We left Amritsar this morning on the 5am train to Delhi. Once in Delhi we go a room at the Hotel Sterlington Inn, another high class spot, after which we walked to Connaught Place and checked things out.

Tomorrow we are going to visit the Taj Mahal in Agra.

Dal lake

Today Joe could not stand the easy pace of life in McLeod Gurg, and he has gone off on a trek. He chose a 43km, 4 day trek that sounded very inviting until he decided that he wanted to do it in 2 days. I opted to stay and do day hikes instead.

Pat and I had a leisurely breakfast of fresh fruit and curds, along with a couple of coffees, at which point we embarked on a hike up to a man made lake, Dal lake. The trail up was along a main road, passing a major army base along the way.

We also found a nice old church, St John’s in the wilderness.

We also saw some friends along the way

The lake turned out to be most underwhelming, as it was more of a mud flat. I am assuming we are here in the dry season, and that it might be more impressive at other times.

We take a different route down through a nice forested road

We had a nice view back into town

Pat is now having a snooze before we head out for the evening

Camp II

The following morning we woke to our first cloudy morning of the trip. I believed this was a sign of a change in the weather, and having been caught out in storms before, I wanted to go down. Joe however, being more of an optimist, wanted to carry on. Pat stayed neutral. We carried on after Joe made a heroic run down to ourStacie to retrieve some much needed extra fuel.

Once he returned we headed for the site of camp I I. 
Unfortunately we were again slower than hoped, and had to set up camp on a glacier short of our ultimate goal.
just to add to the fun, a storm did come in. We were hit by wind and hail. Again cooking outside was loads of fun.

Camp I for sure.

October 13th we packed the rest of our gear into our packs and made as early as possible of a start up the mountain. We have food for about 4 days, and what we hoped would be enough fuel, along with tents,  sleeping bags, climbing gear, etc.

We made slow progress uo the slope, grabbing a few items from our Stacie along the way. We did finally reach camp I just as the sun was setting.

We found a spot between the col and the top of the face to pitch our 2 man tent, into which we squeezed 3 people. The 1 benefit was that we were very warm that night. Unfortunately it had started to snow on us again, so cooking supper outside in the dark and cold and snow was not the greatest fun.

Camp I

October 12th, Pat, Joey an I, started up to leave a cache of gear at camp I, with the intention on moving up for the climb the following day.

we followed our previous route up to the glacier, at which pointpoint we roped up for the crossing.unfortunately, the weather had changed, and the morning sunshine was followed by afternoon snow. The fresh snow fall meant that we could not see any crevasses on the glacier, so we had to take more care than was probably necessary since this was a fairly inactive glacier.

After crossing the glacier we had to navigate the berscrund to get onto the slope above.

We left a couple of fixed ropes to make the following days ascent easier. We then continued up the face, but ran out of time. We left our gear about halfway up the face, short of our goal at the col.